Poetry of Nature Walks
playing with words in nature
Poetry of Nature Walks + Poems
Many have heard of plein air painting, but how about plein air poetry?
Our Poetry of Nature Walks are fun 1-hour outdoor walking adventures for word-loving explorers, families and mentoring partners of all ages and experience to get out in nature, observe and experience the world like poets do and play with writing poetry (and making art) in the fresh air. They are always spontaneous with an element of surprise and provide the space for the inner poet within us all to come out and play. And how cool is it that they are always livestreamed virtually, so anyone anywhere in the world can walk along?
HOW THEY WORK
Here’s how the Poetry of Nature Walks work:
- In non-covid times, they happen in person in Vermont or elsewhere and also simultaneously livestreamed. We regularly have participants walking along from Connecticut and Australia. During this corona pause and cautious re-opening, we are remaining fully virtual with plans to offer the in-person option when we all feel confident and comfortable to do so.
- We gather every other month at a beautiful outdoor location. When The Poartry Project is in Vermont, the location is announced ahead of time. When we are on the road, the walk is a fully virtual pop-up surprise. We’ve done pop-up surprise walks at the delightful Bookworm Gardens in Sheboygan, Wisconsin and dramatic Pace Bend Park in Spicewood, Texas outside Austin.
- We take a 1-hour stroll, working with the prompts of a theme and guidance from your poetry adventure guide, JC.
- Those who wish to share their poems at the end of the walk are invited to do so.
- The resulting poems are posted to the Poetry of Nature Walks poetry portfolio here.
- Something magical always happens!
- Several of our walkers who were first-time poets when they started participating have become regular participating poets in our Voicing Art Poetry Reading Series.
Our Next Upcoming Poetry of Nature Walk Event is a Pop-Up Surprise Version at mystery location on March 20th!
SAVE THE DATE
Saturday, March 20th
2-3 pm US eastern time livestreamed via Zoom for participation from anywhere in the world at a mystery location somewhere in the US that will be revealed when we gather for the walk
free event | registration required for login link
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Keep up with all sorts of creative opportunities, events, prompts and news. We won’t share your data – ever.