Poetry + Art of Nature Walks
playing with words and art in nature
Poetry + Art of Nature Walks + Poems
Many have heard of plein air painting, but how about plein air poetry?
Our Poetry + Art of Nature Walks are fun 1-hour outdoor walking adventures for word- and art-loving explorers, families and mentoring partners of all ages and experience to get out in nature, observe and experience the world like poets and artists do and play with writing poetry and making art in the fresh air. They are always spontaneous with an element of surprise and provide the space for the inner poet and artist within us all to come out and play. And how cool is it that they are always livestreamed virtually, so anyone anywhere in the world can walk along?
HOW THEY WORK
Here’s how the Poetry of Nature Walks work:
- They happen outdoors in person wherever I am at the time and are simultaneously livestreamed online. We regularly have participants walking and writing along online from around the United States and Australia.
- We gather every other month at a beautiful outdoor location. When The Poartry Project is in Vermont, the location is announced ahead of time. When we are on the road, the walk is a pop-up surprise with the location announced on Instagram for those who happen to be in the area. We’ve done pop-up surprise walks at the delightful Bookworm Gardens in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, the dramatic Pace Bend Park in Spicewood, Texas outside Austin; the lovely Morton Arboretum in the Chicago area; the stealth jewel of Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware; and the gem of the Hall Art Foundation Outdoor Sculpture Garden in Vermont.
- We take a 1-hour stroll, working with the prompts of a theme and guidance from your poetry-art adventure guide, JC.
- Those who wish to share their poems at the end of the walk are invited to do so.
- The resulting poems are posted to the Poetry of Nature Walks poetry portfolio here.
- Something magical always happens!
- Several of our walkers who were first-time poets when they started participating have become regular participating poets in our Voicing Art Poetry Reading Series.
Our next Poetry + Art of Nature Walk-Along is coming up on March 18th!
Saturday, March 19th
2-3 pm US eastern time
Come along with poet-artist adventure guide, JC, as we walk-along real-time in person with online live participation option at the Wheeler Nature Park in South Burlington, Vermont to explore writing poetry and making art inspired by nature and hope (as in ‘springs eternal). All ages and experience (including none) welcome!
This window is secured by 256 bit encryption on a PCI compliant network. Click here to view this window in its own page.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Keep up with all sorts of creative opportunities, events, prompts and news. We won’t share your data – ever.